Thursday, December 17, 2009

TANYA STEPHENS – PERFECTLY HUMAN

With a slew of hits including “Yu Nuh Ready Fi Dis Yet” “It’s A Pity” What A Day” and These Streets” Tanya Stephens hasn’t done any wrong musically thus far, and her fans worldwide may well be prepared to accord her the “infallible” status implied (even if its tongue-in-cheek) on her upcoming new album.

The singer-songwriter is preparing to release “Infallible”, her seventh album (her previous effort was “Rebelution” in 2006) and in typical style, she spoke to the questions raised by its title. “Well, what I’m actually saying is that I’m not infallible. I know in terms of what I do musically, I look at my work as unbeatable, but in terms of my humanity, I’m very much fallible and that’s keeps me grounded and working harder to put out better and better work.”

Stephens has also recently branched out as an entertainment entrepreneur, opening the H2O restaurant/lounge in Ocho Rios. The spot has been holding its own since opening in January, she says and its weekend live music sessions have witnessed the likes of Marcia Griffiths, Tinga Stewart (“everybody still ask me when him comin’ back”) Kris Kelly, Diana Rutherford and Rising Stars winners Chris Martin and Brown Sugar.

She has not been seen on a Jamaican stage for a while and fans are no doubt as anxious to hear the new material as they are to hear her reprise the staple songs. Stephens did not attend the previous Shaggy & Friends show, nor did she but none of that prevented her from saying yes to appearing on the lineup for the renewal of the show come Janaury 2nd at Jamaica House

Regarding her own performing schedule otherwise, Stephens says she’ll be heading “wherever promotion takes me. The album will be out, so I’ll be doing all I can to keep it out there.” In between, she’ll continue to scale the new business owner learning curve (“there have been some surprises, but if there were none, then I would be surprised”) and perfecting her songcraft.

“At he end of the day, it’s a great cause, its for the kids,” she said in a telephone interview. “So it’s not that I even need to have any great familiarity with the show or the format or anything like that.

Since announcing her presence as part of producer Barry O Hare’s Farther East compilation in 1993, Stephens has steadily traveled her own path amidst a Jamaican music industry that too often relies on lyrical and sonic ‘trend-following’. Exposed early – and often- to a diversity of musical styles at home (where she was the second youngest of seven children), she developed her own kind of eclecticism, one anchored in the pulse of dancehall, but not restricted in its subject matter. “Do You Still Care?” one of the stronger tracks on the Rebelution CD, tackles both racism and homophobia, addressed as it is to a dying man who has to face the fact that his life may be saved by a black person or a homosexual.

No comments: